Here is my first try at making a chile drying platform out of pvc instead of wood. When I was a youngster, I always remember my grandpa having a few of these out in the yard to use for drying chile pods, but his were usually constructed out of wood and chicken wire, with staples to hold the wire(solid). I decided to use 1/2 inch schedule 40 pvc along with chicken wire, and then used bail wire to attached the wire to the frame. The frame took about 15 mins to build, as I purchased:
1. 4 x 10ft long 1/2 inch diameter pvc pipes
2. 4 x 1/2 inch Elbow with output pvc joints(corner legs)
3. 2 x 1/2 inch tee’s for the middle legs.
The total size is about 10.5 feet long and 4 feet wide, with 16 inch tall legs, to keep the center of gravity low enough to be stable in high wind.
In hindsight, it would have been better to get another set of tee’s to attach the center, but the frame may hold up with the bar I have attached to the center now. If I find it doesn’t hold up to the wind, I can always splice into the center area pvc and add a tee to each side, attaching a pvc pipe between, versus on bottom. I didn’t use pvc primer/cement on the connectors, as I plan to be able to:
1. Easily be able to take apart and move and/or store for next season use
2. Able to repurpose the pipe for another project